A company possesses its own legal identity. This course provides an in depth analysis of the classifications and features of companies, the obligations and rights of parties to the corporation with emphasis on the main legislation. Directions for focus include consideration of the company as a legal person; the incorporation of companies; internal governance; director's duties and shareholder's rights; accounts and financial disclosure; transacting and external administration. As alternatives to the corporate form the course sources and interprets the different legal forms of sole trader, partnership and trading trusts. Students will experience increased confidence in employing legal terminology, tools and communication in diverse situations.
Sydney Elizabeth Street
- Trimester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify the principal legal forms of business organisations differentiating between strengths and weaknesses.
2. Demonstrate an integrative understanding of the legal structure of a company.
3. Interpret and restate the legal rights and duties of parties to the corporation (governance).
4. Recognise, assess and resolve basic legal issues in an ethical and professional manner when interacting with corporations.
5. Explain the legal consequences of the main feature of a company, particularly separate legal personality.
6. Discuss how a company contracts with others.
7. Exhibit an awareness of the rights and duties of directors and shareholders of a company.
8. Demonstrate an evaluative understanding of corporate finance and failure.
9. Communicate your professional knowledge in an articulate style and structure.
The course includes a presentation of the forms and characteristics of business associations, partnerships, the rights and obligations of partners, the nature and various forms of corporations, directors' duties, members' rights, and legal aspects of company finance.
Students must have successfully completed PACC6009. This course is only available to students enrolled in Master of Professional Accounting, Master of Professional Accounting (Advanced), Master of Professional Accounting / Master of Business and M Prof Acct/M Bus Admin programs.
Presentation: Tutorial Presentations
In Term Test: In class quiz
Presentation: Problem solving assignment
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Sydney Elizabeth Street
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term