This course integrates knowledge of dental and regional anatomy, tooth and tissue physiology and clinical radiology with extraction of primary and permanent teeth and minor oral surgery. This course considers the oral manifestations of systemic disease and oral pathology in infants and children and pays attention to pharmacological and clinical techniques for the management of pain and infection.
This course is a mandatory program component.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 3 - 2014.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Diagnose and manage common dental emergencies
2. Remove primary and permanent teeth and tooth fragments
3. Apply knowledge of pharmokinetics to provide effective management of dental pain and sepsis
4. Develop strategies for the management of adverse effects of drugs and medications
5. Understand clotting mechanisms and haemostasis
6. Identify intra-oral pathology in children
7. Provide safe and effective treatment mindful of general health status and psychosocial welfare
8. Provide advice on the management and treatment options for the anxious patient
9. Have advanced knowledge of radiological interpretation of hard and soft tissue pathology affecting the oral cavity
10. Provide safe and effective treatment for the child with dental pain
This course will contain fundamentals of:
- Dental pharmacology
- Exodontia and haemostasis
- Oral pathology
- Management of anxious patients
- Management of common dental emergencies
- Dental radiology
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Dental Therapy.
ORHL6001 and ORHL6002
Professional Task: Continuous clinical assessment
Formal Examination: Examination: Formal
In Term Test: Examination: Class
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.