ORHL3102 builds on the knowledge and skills gained by students in first and second years and relates to the assessment, diagnosis and clinical management of dental hygiene and dental therapy patients. Students will treat patients in the University of Newcastle Oral Health Ourimbah Clinic and attend various external placements.
This course is a compulsory program component and students must pass in order to demonstrate clinical safety and to progress in the Bachelor of Oral Health Therapy program. Students are unable to enrol in Year 3 Semester 2 clinical courses until they have passed this course.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2019
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the application and integration of knowledge of the aetiology and effects of oral diseases on the provision of treatment for individual and the community
2. Demonstrate the provision of preventive and restorative clinical patient care, within the Oral Health Therapists scope of practice
3. Demonstrate the use of evidence based practice for the provision of information and treatment of preventive and restorative oral health care for the individual and community
4. Reflect, evaluate and critique personal performance during clinical sessions
5. Demonstrate the appropriate selection and use of medicaments and microbial therapies in relation to the management of dental and periodontal disease
6. Demonstrate sound cultural, social and age appropriate communication skills with child, adolescent and adult patients, carers and team members
7. Demonstrate professional behavior and integrity
8. Synthesize a comprehensive treatment plan for preventive and restorative oral health care
9. Demonstrate competency in the clinical care of patients
- Communication skills and patient management
- Oral health organisation and delivery of preventive and restorative care for patients
- Oral health needs of the community
- Relationship between oral health and general health
- Assessment risk of caries and periodontal disease in the individual and community
- Preventive and restorative oral health care
- Pain control
- Infection control and OHS
- Team work
- Professional responsibility
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students in the B Oral Health Therapy (12390) program.
Pre-requisite: students must also have successfully completed ORHL2106 and ORHL2107.
This course builds directly on, and requires that you have passed ORHL2106 and ORHL2107.
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Assignment: Clinical Reasoning and Treatment Planning
Professional Task: Ongoing Clinical assessment - Placement *
Role Play: Clinical Communication Assessment
Journal: Online Reflection
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Placement: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - 100% Clinical Attendance to meet Australian Dental Council accreditation requirements
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - This assessment item is a compulsory course component and must be passed to pass the course. Students who successfully complete the external placement requirements will be awarded an Ungraded Pass for this assessment item.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
Face to Face Off Campus 130 hour(s) per Term Full Term
External Clinical placement may included additional placement at the Ourimbah Oral Health Clinic