This course is designed to assist students integrate knowledge and skills from chemistry, physics and risk management for managing and controlling a range of occupational health and safety hazards. Students are expected to find innovative and best practice solutions by actively collaborating in groups.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Integrate knowledge from chemistry, physics and risk management to identify and assess a range of occupational health and safety hazards.
2. Apply appropriate risk control measures to mitigate and manage risks effectively.
3. Adapt health and safety risk control technologies and measures to suit a range of industries and occupations.
4. Communicate to a broad range of audiences the management and control of occupational health and safety hazards in a range of industrial workplaces.
- Basic scientific concepts
- Electrical energy
- Slips and trips
- Hazardous chemicals
- Fire safety and explosions
- Compressed gases
- Confined spaces
- Plant and equipment safety
Pre-requisite - successful completion of LEGL6004
Basic mathematical, chemistry and physics skills and knowledge. Knowledge from OHSE 6020, OHSE 6040 and OHSE 6050.
Written Assignment: Assignment on Safety in the Workplace
Report: Report on Safety in the Workplace
Online Learning Activity: Online Discussion
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Online 23 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1
2 hours per week for 10 weeks, 1 hour per week for 3 weeks. Assessable Online Activities from Weeks 1 to 10, Self-directed learning activities (non-assessable) from weeks 11-13.
Self-Directed 81 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1
6 hours per week for 10 weeks, 7 hours per week for 3 weeks.