This course provides students with the opportunity to consolidate learning from OCCT3120 (Introduction to Mental Health and Psychosocial Occupational Therapy Practice). In addition, it further develops students competencies in assessment, intervention, and program planning with consideration of different contexts of mental health practice. Students will also have the opportunity to consolidate skills through a 5 week professional placement.
Not currently offered.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Plan, implement and evaluate occupational interventions, within a selected theoretical framework, for people with identified psychosocial issues or mental disorder.
2. Articulate clinical reasoning for identified interventions.
3. Apply theory and principles of occupational therapy groupwork and programme planning in development of an intervention programme for a specified client group.
4. Demonstrate consideration of the context of mental health practice including policy, legal and ethical issues and institutional structures when planning interventions for clients.
- Lectures - designed to build on the knowledge gained about OT practice in mental health in OCCT3120 and will cover assessment, intervention, and programme planning with consideration of different contexts of mental health practice, mental health issues across the lifespan and specialty areas of practice.
- Tutorials - provide students with the opportunity to extend and consolidate learning from the lecture series.
- Professional Placement - Preparation of students for placement, 5 week full time placement and debrief following placement.
160 credit points of the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Programme
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Professional Task: Professional Placement *
Presentation: Presentations - Individual
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.