This course will assist in developing effective communication or interpersonal skills, including the four macro skills: speaking, listening, writing and reading in the context of inter-professional teams, groups and individuals. It forms foundational knowledge, skills and attitudes for Occupational Therapy Practice.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explore and reflect upon the strengths and weakness of their personal communication style in both face-to-face and non face-to-face contexts.
2. Examine and respond to the needs associated with various factors influencing effective communication during Occupational Therapy practice.
3. Use the various components of spoken and written communicative skills to achieve effective Occupational therapy practice.
4. Interpret and respond to spoken and written communication in ways that reflect effective OT practice.
All content explored within an interactive and experiential context including:
- Ways of interacting while practicing as an Occupational Therapist that ensure Person/Family-centred practice.
- Reflection leading to greater self-awareness about personal communication styles
- Ensuring understanding and appropriate interaction while interacting as an Occupational Therapist.
- The effect of non-verbal communication when interacting as an Occupational Therapist.
- Communicating with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
- Presentation and other factors influencing effective Occupational Therapy interaction
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of OCCT1242
In Term Test: On-line Test
Written Assignment: Reflection about P-cP & using the COPM - 3A. One page written 3B.
Viva Voce: Effective communication viva
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 5 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 5 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks starting in week 1
The Writing Workshops consist of 2 hours per week for 7 weeks The Communication Workshops consist of 3 hours per week for 7 weeks