This course is grounded on the foundation of study undertaken in NURS6621 Clinical Practice A.
This is the final mandatory course in the Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner), Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner).
This course will provide Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) and Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students with the opportunity to build on and demonstrate their expert knowledge, clinical skills and competency. Students are supported in the preparation of a comprehensive case study for viva voce examination and complete the professional portfolio relevant to their specialty area of practice as a requirement for completion of the Nurse Practitioner programs.
This course will provide students from other Masters' programs with the opportunity to build on and demonstrate their expert knowledge, clinical skills and competency within their clinical context. Students are supported in the preparation of a comprehensive case study relevant to their practice.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2017
- Trimester 3 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Develop a clear, concise and scholarly case study commensurate with advanced level academic studies demonstrating advanced practice and leadership within the student clinical context.
2. Demonstrate competency, capability and leadership aligned with the individuals scope of practice and discipline specific standards, i.e. NMBA Nurse Practitioner Standards for Practice or NMBA Registered Nurse standards for Practice or the Competency Standards for the Midwife
Student requirements will depend on their program of enrolment:
For Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students and Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students, this is the capstone course. Students are required to complete all of the following components in preparation for the clinical viva which completes this course:
- A comprehensive case study to form the basis of the clinical viva examination.
- Embedded clinical practice hours
- Clinical supervision
For students enrolled in other Masters Programs
Students will be required to complete:
- A comprehensive case study relevant to their context of clinical practice, building on the exploration of the literature in NURS6621.
- NB: There is no clinical viva voce examination for other Master students.
This course only available to students enrolled in M Midwifery Studies or M Nursing (Nurse Pract.) or M Applied Management (Nursing) or M Nursing (Ad. Practice) or M Pharmacy or M Mental Health Nursing Pre-requisite - successful completion of NURS6621
Foundations of knowledge within clinical context, practice theory, legal, cultural and ethical issues, and fundamentals of research, human bioscience, psychology, and sociology related to own practice. Principles of investigative approaches, concepts and theories relevant to practice, current contemporary health issues. Academic reading and writing skills, ability to access and evaluate information from a variety of sources, skills in critical analysis, critical judgment, synthesis and evaluation. Competent use of an electronic citation manager e.g. EndNote ESSENTIAL SKILLS: All students-completion of NURS6621 Clinical Practice A.
Written Assignment: Written Synopsis
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study
Viva Voce: Viva Exam - Nurse Practitioner Students Only *
Professional Task: Nurse Practitioner Clinical Portfolio (Nurse Practitioner Students Only) *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Viva Voce: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term