The advance practice nurse require a diverse knowledge and skill base to appropriately and effectively assess and manage patients in an acute care environment environment. This course develops skills and knowledge surrounding the holistic management of patients in the acute area. This course will cover aspects of care related to risk management, patient education, clinical practice and discharge planning.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Practice in the acute setting using an evidenced based approach to make informed, patient centred and culturally safe decisions that reflect advanced clinical judgment
2. Manage complex acute patients and provide holistic management of a patient and their family unit in the medical/ surgical context using both traditional and novel approaches
3. Assess patients who are unstable and /or have complex health care problems and take appropriate nursing actions
4. Demonstrate effective communication with patients and their families and within a multidisciplinary/ interpersonal health care team.
5. Reflect on current practice and plan ongoing development commensurate with personal and professional goals
- Foundations of Acute Care
- Body systems review of common medical/ surgical admissions
- Clinical reasoning and management as related to common medical admissions
- Clinical implications of basic pathology tests, medical imaging and the appropriate nursing response
- Advanced nursing practice in acute care
- Incorporating current evidence and clinical guidelines in assessment and care planning
- Holistic nursing practice
- Pain and wound management
- Mental health issues in acute care
Foundational nursing knowledge: nursing theory, legal and ethical issues, fundamentals of research, human bioscience, psychology, sociology related to practice. Principles of investigative approaches in nursing, concepts and theories relevant to practice, contemporary nursing issues. Completion of NURS6021 - Health Assessment and Applied Pathophysiology
Online Learning Activity: Blogs x 4 *
Quiz: Online Quiz x 2 *
Written Assignment: Case study *
Professional Task: Clinical Compentencies and Skills - Grad Cert in Clinical Nursing program students only *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Written Assignment: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Quiz: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Online Learning Activity: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must satisfactorily complete clinical practice standards and skills to pass this course.
Integrated Learning Session
Online 10 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1
Online Integrated Learning - 6 hours per week x 12 weeks Problem Based Learning - 4 hrs per week x 12 weeks
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1
Face to Face Off Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1
Experienced based learning
Self-Directed 6 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1