This course covers dietary intake assessment and counseling of individual clients in the clinical context. Strategies to encourage behaviour change as part of the counseling process will be covered. Students will attend practical placement in a clinical setting and attend skill based workshops to reach professional competency in diet history taking. There will be compulsory clinical attendances throughout the semester.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an ability to collect dietary information from a client;
2. Gather and interpret information relevant to the client;
3. Organise and assess data relating to the health and nutritional status of the individual
4. Identify barriers to change for the client and strategies to address these
5. Demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate with the client
- Communicating with and interviewing clients
- Diet history taking
- Clinical dietary assessment and analysis
- Stages of change
- Barriers to change
- Facilitating lifestyle changes
- Nutrition care process
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics(Hons). Co-requisite - concurrently enrolled in NUDI3220
NUDI2200 Nutrition 2
Written Assignment: Assignments
Formal Examination: Formal Exam
Professional Task: Clinic (P/F) *
Written Assignment: Clinical Reasoning
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Compulsory practical placement during year - intermittent
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks starting in week 1
All students attend in week 1 and week 13. Students to attend fortnightly, (so lectures happen first) starting in week 2-12