An examination of food legislation, chemical, nutritional and microbiological safety factors that influence food production, processing and supply. Special attention will be given to food and health, novel and new foods and food systems.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the legal framework in food production, processing and supply.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the regulatory and scientific frameworks that control food product information and claims.
3. Describe the management of nutritional and food safety aspects in the food industry and food systems.
4. Describe the effects of foods and their components on human health.
- Food regulation
- Food processing
- Food microbiology
- Food safety
- Food systems
- Food and health
- Functional foods and new foods
This course is only available to students active in the B Nutr & Diet (Hons) or B Teach (Secondary) / B Technology, or B Teach (Technology) (Hons) or B Education (Secondary) or B Education (Secondary) (Hons) programs. Student must have successfully completed HLSC1220.
Quiz: Class quiz
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory assignments (2)
Formal Examination: Formal exam
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self Directed Learning via Blackboard and course work book. Not timetabled. Students work through readings at their own time.