This course focuses on development of performance and analytical skills in the jazz/funk idiom through a study of style, techniques, performance and accompaniment characteristics and improvisation techniques. Students will develop an understanding of theory and musical direction/arrangement appropriate to the style.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Recognise and correctly perform different jazz/funk music styles
2. Read and interpret song scores and perform from them appropriately on their individual instrument
3. Collaborate with other musicians to organise and present performances
4. Improvise over chord changes, correctly applying appropriate scales and modes
5. Demonstrate control over tone and sound production
6. Analyse jazz/funk songs from scores and recordings
The course covers performance, improvisation, and accompaniment techniques studied through an exploration of various idioms from jazz/funk. The improvisational and rhythmic languages and ensemble performance styles will be
a the major foci of this course.
Pre-requisite - successful completion of MUSI2182
Students undertaking this course should have solid skills in the instrument for which this course is offered that semester.
Presentation: Assessment No1 - Presentation
Written Assignment: Assessment No.2 - Analysis
Performance: Assessment No.3 - Presentations