This course aims to improve performance skills in the popular idiom through a study of style, techniques, performance characteristics and improvisation techniques.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Recognise and correctly perform different popular music styles
2. Read, interpret and arrange song scores and perform from them appropriately on their individual instrument
3. Collaborate with other musicians to organise and present performances
4. Improvise over chord changes, correctly applying basic scales and modes
5. Demonstrate control over tone and sound production
6. Analyse popular music from scores and recordings
Students will be provided with information and materials and be involved in workshops and performance situations where they can learn stylistic and technical aspects of popular music styles including, but not limited to: rock, blues, funk and contemporary pop. Classes will involve discussions, performance, analysis, listening and score based exercises.
Students undertaking this course should have solid skills in the instrument which they will perform on in this course.
Performance: Performances- Group and Individual
Presentation: Written Assignment and Individual Presentation