This course introduces students to elementary guitar technique and musicianship. Students will develop a repertoire of songs and pieces in various styles and obtain a method to further their development on the instrument independently. This course will prepare the student to play the guitar in all situations where simple music making is required. Students will be requested to practice specific music repertoire outside of regular tutorial times to successfully complete the course. A body of work will be created throughout the course for students to use in the primary school environment or any vocation that may benefit. No prior musical knowledge is required.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Winter - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Perform simple chord progressions to a range of popular songs.
2. Sight-read melodies in a range of keys.
3. Develop aural skills with relation to pitch, rhythm, time signature and performing media.
4. Acquire ensemble skills through group performance.
5. Perform technical exercises and patterns.
6. Adapt music-making skills to a variety of classroom and extra curricula performance activities.
7. Develop the ability to select and sequence appropriate repertoire.
8. Care and maintain the instrument including replacing strings.
9. Tuning the guitar including the use of a guitar tuner.
- Technical work related to a variety of performance repertoire.
- Sequentially selected repertoire of performance materials.
- Basic accompaniment skills.
- Music literacy skills and aural development appropriate to the level of performance.
This course is not available to students in the Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Arts programs.
Students undertaking this subject do NOT require any previous musical training.
In Term Test: Assessment 1 - Solo/Group Performance
Portfolio: Assessment 2 - Portfolio submission
In Term Test: Assessment 3 - Performance Exam Solo and Ensemble
Ourimbah and Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term