Introduction to Music Technology provides students with core music technology skills. Students will explore MIDI/sound/multimedia music applications using hardware (including sound processing equipment and computers) and associated software. This may include (but is not limited to) an introduction to Musical Instrument Digital Interface, elementary skills of arranging, synchronising and sequencing MIDI and other digital data are examined. Students will also develop a strong grounding in music publishing software by reproducing excerpts of music notation.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. To introduce the applications of using computers and associated electronic devices in the musical arena.
2. To provide preliminary theory and practical experience in the field of MIDI.
3. To provide knowledge of current practice in the field.
4. The use of the computer to compose and create music.
5. To demonstrate the use of MIDI in an educational environment.
6. To provide an overview of the practical skills required for the operation of semi-professional and professional audio equipment at an elementary level.
7. To provide the skills required to produce simple musical notation.
8. To create an appreciation of the use of MIDI material.
Course content may include (but is not limited to):
- Terminology and jargon
- Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
- MIDI generating devices (eg. controllers)
- Sequencing/arranging software (elementary level)
- Video/Audio synchronisation (fundamental level)
- Music/data entry techniques
- Creation of staves, braces and grouping
- Music page layout and music spacing options
- Assigning instruments to staves for playback
This course has similarities to MUSI1705. If you have successfully completed MUSI1705 you cannot enrol in this course.
As this is a first year level course the assumed knowledge is a pass in the School's written and aural music tests conducted during the audition process for admission (or equivalent).
Project: Formative Task involving MIDI and Audio
Project: Soundtrack Task
Project: Audio-Visual Task
Written Assignment: Music Notation Task