This is the second in a series of five courses that aim to develop an understanding of musical organisation, structures and techniques, shared musical vocabularies, aural skills, musical representation and communication. Examples from a wide diversity of musical styles are presented. The course also provides the opportunity to apply these tools and abilities creatively in any genre or era as defined by the interest of the student. This course particularly focuses on melodic rhythmic organisation, techniques and analysis.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of rhythmic and temporal techniques, organisation, basic melodic techniques and their application in musical composition, performance and production in a variety of musical styles and eras
2. Recognise, create and analyse significant musical techniques and processes, with a particular emphasis on melodic and hythm and temporal processes and their application in musical composition, performance and production
3. Demonstrate a basic level of aural recognition and transcription skills
4. Demonstrate the ability analyse musical process and to communicate these analyses in written and spoken forms
Course content will include lectures, tutorial tasks, aural and transcription activities, rhythmic and other technical practice and student activities.
This course has similarities to MUSI1732. If you have successfully completed MUSI1732 you cannot enrol in this course.
Creative and Analytical Studies in Music 1 ( MUSI1631). The course assumes a basic understanding of music notation software.
In Term Test: Aural assessment 1 *
Project: Technique Exam *
Presentation: Final Composition
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Project: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - This course contains two components (i) Aural and (ii) composition, analytical and technical skills. Each of the two components must be passed in order to pass this course.
- In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - This course contains two components (i) Aural and (ii) composition, analytical and technical skills. Each of the two components must be passed in order to pass this course.
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term