The course will provide a historical and analytical study of film music. A wide range of film genres will be studied. The course introduces techniques for film composition and will include the following:
1. The basics for music and sound's role in relation to images in time.
2. Socio-cultural influences on various genres of film music
3. The musical language
4. Stylistic origins
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Winter - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Discuss the basics the role of music and sound in relation to images in time.
2. Identify the socio-cultural influences on various genres of film music
3. Understand and discuss the musical language
4. Understand and discuss the stylistic origins of music
Film music will be studied in reference to:
- Some film music conventions: underscore, epic, melodrama, commentary.
- Genre films and music
- Music image text relationships
- Film music definitions
- Sound and music relationships
- Cues, hits and synchs
- Symbolism, sign and meaning
- Off screen and on screen sound/music
Students to be enrolled in a degree involved in the creative and/or performing arts or equivalent
In Term Test: Multiple Choice Test
Practical Demonstration: Group Project & Class Presentation
Written Assignment: Cue Sheet, Analysis & Context of a Film Excerpt