This course will provide students with an understanding of the principles of sound, improved aural discernment, and operational skills in the digital audio domain as applied to the requirements of a modern music recording studio. Students will develop a good comprehension of fundamental sound theory by studying a range of topics that may include acoustic principles, psychoacoustics, the human ear, etc. Emphasis is placed on improving the students aural aptitude and ability to produce a musical sound when working with digital material. Editing and processing music using digital audio editing software is also addressed (Students will be required to have access to an approved audio editing software package in order to complete assessment tasks).
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to competently using digital audio editing software;
2. Demonstrate an understanding of digital audio signal flow and gain structure;
3. Have obtained an understanding of common types of audio processing using software;
4. Have improved their aural perceptivety with regards to editing music digitally;
5. Possess a good understanding of digital audio theory, acoustics, and psychoacoustics;
6. Demonstrate the ability to use email, access web-based resources and to participate in electronic discussion groups.
Topics may include (but are not limited to):
- Computer configuration for use with audio recording
- Audio editing applications and techniques
- Digital signal flow and gain structure
- Aural perceptivety
- Sound theory including acoustics and the ear
- Digital processing techniques
Students undertaking this course are required to have minimum levels of computer literacy and musical ability as necessary for entry into the Master of Music Technology and Graduate Certificate in Music Technology programs. No additional assumed knowledge is required. (Further details of the levels expected are available from the program convener.)
In Term Test: Examination: On-line
Project: Project - Digital Audio Editing Software
Project: Project - Producing High Quality Audio Material
Participation: Group/tutorial participation and contribution