This course allows students to refine their basic to high level professional skills by participating in skill labs at university and by attending a professional placement at an accredited clinical centre. This professional placement will allow students to finalise their professional skills, complete program competency requirements, and become ready to begin clinical practice. The labs must be passed to be allowed to attend professional placement, and pass the course. Clinical placement occurs during Semester 2 for five weeks.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Observe and identify the role and function of medical radiation practitioners and health care team members in the delivery of health care
2. Continue to apply and participate in MRS procedures at a level suitable to their current clinical experience
3. Continue to develop and demonstrate a professional attitude towards members of the public and other health care workers
4. Further develop clinical reasoning skills
5. Further develop and apply communication skills with members of the public and other health care workers
6. Practice within an ethical and legal framework
7. Evaluate and critique his or her role within and during the clinical practice according to the level of experience
8. Describe the current and future roles that may be required to practice within and reflect on the need for continual learning to improve clinical practice
9. Summarise their clinical learning over the entire clinical program
- Imaging of the soft-tissues of the neck
- Peripheral Vascular
- Imaging of the cardio-Respiratory System
- Multi-System Trauma
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
Students must be concurrently enrolled in MRSC3155, successfully completed MRSC3105 & MRSC3111 & active in BMRS (Hon) (Diag Rad) (40002) or concurrently enrolled in MRSC3150, successfully completed MRSC3100 & MRSC3111 & active in BMRS (Diag Rad) (11017).
MRSC3100 Diagnostic Radiography Methods IIIA
MRSC3111 MRS Clinical IIIA
Must be enrolled in or have successfully passed MRSC3150
Log / Workbook: Professional Placement Workbook *
Report: General Radiography Image Reports *
Report: Reflective Report *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Lecture: There is a compulsory attendance requirement in this course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Face to Face Off Campus 40 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks
A minimum of 240hrs/30 shifts of compulsory clinical practice during the semester or equivalent part time
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks
Attendance to complete laboratory exercises may be used to compliment professional placement.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Clinical Briefing 1 hr per semester (held in semester 1) - compulsory attendance Clinical Debriefing 1hr per semester Week 7 - compulsory attendance
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.