This course provides medical radiation science (MRS) students with an understanding of MRS clinical practice issues. This course will explore relevant issues to prepare students for safe and ethical practice in MRS including: Medical terminology, Patient information and management systems, venepuncture and cannulation techniques, and clinical CT applications. This course is a compulsory program component.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of commonly used medical terms relevant to medical imaging and radiation therapy
2. Discuss use of patient information management systems in MRS, including Picture and Archiving Communication Systems (PACS)
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the procedure and risks for venepuncture and cannulation techniques
4. Demonstrate foundation knowledge of clinical CT including; radiation dose minimisation and use of contrast media
5. Discuss the use of CT protocols for clinical applications
- Medical terminology
- Patient information and management systems
- Venepuncture and cannulation
- Clinical CT applications
This course is only available to students active in the B Medical Radiation Science programs (11017, 11018 or 11019) or the B Medical Radiation Science (Honours) programs (40002, 40010 or 40011) and have successfully completed MRSC1010.
Quiz: Online topic quizzes
Formal Examination: Formal examination *
Project: Video project *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Project: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Formal Examination: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks starting in week 1
Online 1 hour(s) per Week for 3 Weeks starting in week 5
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks