The review of business fundamentals and the basic ingredients of a business plan are vital for sustainable enterprises. Business Venturing examines the processes of creating new business enterprises bringing together many concepts including the business idea, relevant resources, personal commitment and entrepreneurial drive, and a marketable product or service. Emphasis will be placed upon understanding the most essential aspects of each concept and the implications for application in relevant business contexts.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2017 (Singapore)
- Trimester 1 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2018 (Singapore)
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Analyse the primary components of creativity
2. Outline strategies to enhance business creativity and the development of business ideas
3. Discuss the entrepreneurial process
4. List and outline strategies to screen business ideas
5. Identify and explain the main components of a business plan
6. Prepare a business plan, incorporating both autonomous and collaborative work processes
7. Present the business plan to potential stakeholders in both oral and written formats conducive to audience and purpose.
8. Demonstrate an awareness of the standards necessary for appropriate professional practice and ethical conduct and their implementation.
9. Work towards identified targets using set working methods and describing periodic progress for their achievement.
Lectures may include, but are not restricted to, the following topics:
- Introduction to Business Venturing in Australia
- Creativity in Business Venturing and Sources of Ideas
- Innovation and Strategic Competitive Advantage
- Preliminary Venture Evaluation
- New Venture Strategies
- Venture Feasibility Analysis and the Business Plan
- The Entrepreneurial Process
- Entrepreneurs - The Personal Factor
- Financing the New Venture
- Commercialising the New Venture
- The Business Life Cycle: Or How will Your Business Grow?
- Franchising: A Special Form of Business Venturing
- Role of I-Commerce in Business Venturing
Assumed knowledge is IRHR1001 or MNGT1001, ACFI1001 and MKTG2100 or MKTG1001.
Proposal / Plan: Group Written Business Plan
Presentation: Group Business Plan Presentation
Quiz: Online Quiz
Formal Examination: Final examination
Callaghan, Ourimbah and PSB Singapore
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students are expected to complete 4 hours of guided learning via online preparation, lectures, interactive workshops, tutorials, discussion groups or self-directed learning and an additional 6 hours of independent study per week.