Strategic Marketing Management encompasses marketing strategy elements and their integration. Focus will be upon developing your abilities to apply various principles and theories to specific problems. Competitive marketing strategies are introduced, and theories are applied to different economic environments as well as to different competitive environments. Encouraging a practical approach to strategy, students engage in interactive problem solving, field work and contemporary case analysis.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2018
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Analyse marketing opportunities and threats
2. Understand strategic concepts and theories and their application in marketing environments.
3. Develop and critically assess marketing strategies
4. Research and analyse marketing strategies in different contexts
5. Identify and resolve well-defined problems reaching substantiated conclusions employing methods of analysis specific to marketing.
6. Effectively communicate Strategic Marketing knowledge and outcomes in both written and oral contexts.
7. Employ strategies and processes which assist independent learning.
* Introduction to strategy, strategic concepts and strategic levels* Alternative marketing strategies
* Strategy and the Marketing Planning process* Marketing strategy formulation
- Industry and business definition
- Product-market definition and analysis
- Customer and stakeholder analysis
- Competitor analysis
- Strategy selection, adjustment or re-confirmation
* Strategic application of the Marketing Mix* Product and packaging strategy* Pricing strategy* Positioning and Brand strategy* Marketing communication strategy* Distribution, selling and customer service strategies* The role of the Internet* Implementation and organisational strategic focus* Industry evolution, monitoring and strategic adjustments* Strategies for different environments
MKTG2100 Principles of Marketing or MKTG1001 Foundations of Marketing plus MKTG2010 Marketing Research and MKTG2101 Consumer Behaviour
Formal Examination: Exam
Written Assignment: Individual Situation Analysis and SWOT
Proposal / Plan: Written Group Strategic Marketing Plan
Presentation: Group Presentation
Written Assignment: Learning Activity Feedback
Ourimbah, Newcastle City Precinct and PSB Singapore
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students are expected to complete 4 hours of guided learning via online preparation, lectures, interactive workshops, tutorials, discussion groups or self-directed learning and an additional 6 hours of independent study per week.