This course aims to further students' knowledge in the use of computer aided engineering software for solids and surface modelling, computer aided manufacturing, computation fluid mechanics, and selected topics in FEA. Students will also be familiarised with the concept of rapid prototyping and the control of a Numerically Controlled Work Centre. This course is strongly recommended if you are considering the Formula SAE project for your final year project.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Model a range of complex geometries
2. Understand the file relationships between parts and assemblies
3. Generate machining strategies and toolpaths from solid models
4. Generate geometry suitable for CFD and other FEA analysis
5. Undertake CFD analysis of engineering systems
- Exposure to Computation Fluid Dynamics Software and Modelling
- Advanced solids modelling, assemblies, and surface modelling.
- Essentials of Numerical Control.
- Selected topics from FEA
CALLAGHAN CAMPUS ONLY: Due to resource limitations, enrolment into MECH4580 will be capped at 30 students with a priority system being used to determine which students are allowed to enrol. Outside enrolment will be blocked to ensure the priority system is utilised and capping ensured. Priority system: 1st Priority: students who are active within the NURacing Formula SAE Team; 2nd Priority: prospective project students intending to use Computation Fluid Dynamics or Advanced Solids Modelling as part of their project; 3rd Priority: students who will have graduated before the next MECH4580 offering; 4th Priority: any other student. Students are to submit expressions of interest for a position in MECH4580.
MECH2110 Mechanical Engineering Design 1
Written Assignment: Advanced 3D Computer Aided Design Assignment
Written Assignment: CFD Assignment
Written Assignment: Advanced CAD and FEA Assignment
Written Assignment: Computer Aided Manufacturing Assignment
Project: Major Project
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term