Students learn the fundamental principles of heat transfer and how they can use them to solve engineering problems, in particular in heat exchanger applications. The course, which nicely blends physical and mathematical concepts, provides an excellent support to the students for expanding/developing the analytical skills built on previous knowledge of mathematics and physics.
On completion, students will demonstrate sufficient skills to enable them for their future careers, and the potential for future self-directed study in this area.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Trimester 2 - 2020 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe, explain and identify various heat transfer mechanisms.
2. Apply the principles of heat transfer for analysing processes in an engineering context.
3. Solve engineering heat transfer problems related to heat exchangers.
4. Perform routine experiments relating to heat transfer and communicate experimental results through written reports.
The course covers various topics including:
- Introduction to heat transfer
- Heat exchangers
- 1D- Conduction
- 2D- Steady state conduction (numerical analysis)
- Transient conduction
- Convection (External and internal)
MECH2710 Fluid Mechanics 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
Report: Laboratory Report
Quiz: Mid-Semester Quiz
Quiz: End-Semester Quiz
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Students will select a laboratory session at the beginning of the semester in consultation with the course coordinator.
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1
2 x 2 hours per week
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1