This course provides a full introduction to engineering heat transfer. The three different heat transfer modes - thermal conduction, convection and radiation - are considered. Furthermore, common engineering elements for the dissipation, insulation and storage of thermal energy are addressed. These concepts are combined into a holistic thermal management approach.
Not currently offered.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of heat transfer principals in an engineering context.
2. Solve engineering problems related to heat transfer and thermal management.
3. Understand and apply experimental techniques related to the measurement and analysis of heat transfer processes.
4. Communicate experimental results through the preparation of written reports.
- Static and dynamic heat transfer
- Thermal conduction
- Convective heat transfer
- Radiation heat transfer
- Heat exchangers
- Thermal insulation
- Thermal storage
- Thermal management
MECH2710 Fluid Mechanics 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Report: Laboratory Report
Quiz: Mid-semester quiz
Formal Examination: Final exam