This second course in engineering design applies knowledge gained in earlier mechanics and design courses to advanced aspects of engineering design. A range of topics are covered including the design of mechanical connections, power transmission through gears, bearing design and selection and shaft design.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 1 - 2020 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Undertake appropriate analyses of key components in a mechanical design;
2. Utilise design standards to size components in a mechanical design;
3. Perform a detailed design on a multi-component mechanical system;
4. Incorporate ethical/professional considerations into design solutions, and
5. Present a written report to professional standards.
This course covers key topics important in mechanical engineering design. The following topics are covered:
- Mechanical connections.
- Design of friction drives, clutches and brakes.
- Epicyclic gear trains.
- Gear design and selection to Australian Standards.
- Shaft design.
- Bearing selection, journal bearing design and lubrication.
- Design project.
MECH2110 Mechanical Engineering Design 1,
MECH2420 Engineering Mechanics
Written Assignment: Minor Assignment
Written Assignment: Major Assignment Part 1
Written Assignment: Major Assignment Part 2
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1
2 x 2 hour lectorial sessions per week