This course introduces students to general procedures for solving design problems and searching for design solutions using a range of techniques. Students will build on their knowledge of engineering drawing techniques and be introduced to the assembly of machine components - limits, fits and geometric tolerance.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2018 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply the fundamentals of mechanical engineering design, including detailed engineering drawing and conceptual design.
2. Apply concepts including limits and fits, size tolerances, geometric tolerances, analysis of linkages, conceptual design processes and safety in design.
3. Apply concepts to a range of examples and problems.
4. Work in a group design and build project; ie. Warman Design and Build Competition.
- Solving engineering design problems;
- Creating and interpreting engineering drawings;
- Important aspects of the assembly of mechanical components - fits and limits, tolerance, surface finish and the like;
- Group project, i.e. The Warman Design-and-Build national competition;
- Utilise SolidWoks to develop assembly and detailed engineering drawings.
GENG1000 Computer Aided Engineering OR MECH1110 Mechanical Drawing/CAD and Workshop Practice (previously GENG1000 Computer Aided Engineering). Students are advised that in order to use the Universities mechanical workshop for the Warman Design-and-Build competition, for safety reasons, they are required to complete the "workshop practice" component in GENG1000/MECH1110.
Written Assignment: 3D Computer Aided Design Assignments
Written Assignment: Conceptual Design Assignment
Practical Demonstration: Warman Competition
Report: Warman Report
Presentation: Warman Presentation
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks starting in week 2
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks starting in week 12
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks starting in week 6