This course introduces the process of mechatronic system design. It is a project-based course where a mechatronic system for an electromechanical component is designed and built. The course integrates tools and skills related to computer and software, electronics, control, modelling and simulation. It also develops the concepts of experimental modelling and implementation of computer control systems. The course provides a real-life experience related to the practice of mechatronics engineering.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Formulate specifications for adopting/designing different components of a mechatronic system (mechanical, electrical, sensors, actuators).
2. Conduct a mechatronic design using a structured formal approach. Make decisions about component choice taking into account its effects on the choice of other components and the performance of a mechatronic system.
3. Design and implement software for a computer control system with sensor and actuator interfaces.
4. Design and implement communication interface with a computer control system for tuning.
5. Design and implement printed board circuit (electronic hardware) for a computer control system.
6. Implement a software-hardware verification using hardware-in-the-loop testing.
7. Conduct experimental modelling to assist in the design and tuning of control systems.
- Mechatronic system design process
- Computer control systems
- Experimental modelling (system identification)
- Mechatronic design project
MCHA2000 Mechatronic Systems MECH2350 Dynamics 2 MECH2450 Engineering Computations 2 ELEC4400 Automatic Control ELEC3730 Embedded System ELEC3240 Electronics
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Lab 1
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Lab 2-5
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Assignment 1
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Assignment 2
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Design Assignment
Project: Project Demonstration
Report: Project Report
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students enrolled in the part-time evening programme at UoN Singapore will receive equivalent instruction delivered in a block mode of 7 teaching weeks