Directed Studies in Mathematics
Offers students the opportunity to develop their mathematics skills by pursuing a topic related to an area of current research in modern mathematics. The topic is individually chosen to suit the student's background and aspirations, and will be studied by directed reading, assigned project work, participation in Access Grid courses at partner universities, or in honours lectures and seminars, under the supervision of a member of the academic staff.
Participation in this course requires the permission of the course coordinator.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. An introduction to recent developments in various branches of mathematics;
2. A perspective on the whole of mathematics, showing them where what they already know fits in the overall course;
3. Knowledge of where gaps in their knowledge lie by indicating branches of mathematics they have not met in lectures;
4. Developed an ability to assimilate mathematics through self-directed study rather than formal instruction;
5. Developed skills at presenting mathematics.
Branches of mathematics (as defined by the Mathematical Reviews Classification Scheme); methods of communication of mathematical works.
Students carry out an agreed program of directed reading, participation in lectures and seminars, and/or project work in an area of current resarch interest in modern mathematics. The topics will be done according to interests of the students or chosen from a list of suggestions by the course coordinator. These topics will comprise the mathematical content of the syllabus.
A good strong background in MATH2000 and MATH3000 courses relevant to the topic chosen.
Project: As agreed with Course Co-ordinator
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Course will be by either lecture or individual supervision. These are minimum contact hours and may vary with individual student's learning style.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term