Provides students in Education programs with an insight into the nature of problem-solving in mathematics. In particular, within the scope of the mathematics they have studied, the students will become aware of the process of using mathematics in open-ended problems, the way in which new mathematics can be developed, and mathematics as a human endeavour. Encourages students to think mathematically and increase students' confidence in their mathematical ability.
- Semester 1 - 2022
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Undertake an investigation into a problem arising from a pure mathematics setting
2. Undertake a mathematical investigation into a problem arising from a setting outside of mathematics
3. Reflect on the relationship between thinking and working mathematically and mathematics education
- Working mathematically - approaches to problem-solving
- Thinking mathematically - problem-posing, generalising, conjecturing, linking.
MATH1900 or equivalent
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
6 additional 2hr Help session workshops will be scheduled due to the size of the course.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Workshops will be incorporated into lecture timeslots as appropriate.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.