Introduces key areas of mathematics directly relevant to Electrical, Computer or Telecommunications Engineering. Provides a sound grounding in the differentiation and integration of functions of complex variables, as well as essential concepts associated with both discrete and continuous probability spaces. These topics provide an essential foundation for modern control engineering and signal processing.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 3 - 2019 (Singapore).
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Mathematical knowledge in the areas of complex variable theory and probability theory to support further engineering studies.
2. An enhanced analytical ability, in particular, improved problem-solving and abstract reasoning skills.
- Functions of a complex variable
- Differentiation of functions
- Cauchy's integral theorem
- The calculus of residues - series expansions
- Contour integration
- Discrete and continuous probability distributions
- Probability density functions, expectation, variance and covariance.
- Sums of random variables
- Hypothesis testing
- Generating functions
- Central limit theorem
- Confidence intervals
MATH1120 or MATH1220, and MATH2310.
Formal Examination: Formal Examination: Probability & Statistics
Written Assignment: Assignments
In Term Test: Class Examination - Complex Analysis