This course covers the parts of calculus and algebra which are fundamental to all of mathematics and its applications. In algebra, students learn concepts and symbolic manipulation when calculating with large numbers of variables. In calculus, they learn concepts used when working with continuously changing variables. Both ways of thinking are essential in the mathematics met by students in the Sciences, Engineering and Commerce. These concepts will be further explored in MATH1120.
The course sequence MATH1110, MATH1120, MATH2340 is equivalent to the pair MATH1210, MATH1220. Students should bear this in mind when selecting courses due to the differences in terms of assumed knowledge, pace of presentation, and timing of achievement of assumed knowledge for subsequent mathematics courses.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
- Trimester 1 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate mathematical knowledge and skills in the areas of calculus, functions, vectors and complex numbers.
2. Demonstrate improved analytical ability as compared with level of such in prerequisite subject MATH1002, in particular skills at problem-solving.
3. Apply appropriate techniques of differentiation and integration to various real life problems in engineering, science and technology.
- Differential and integral calculus of functions of one variable
- Geometry of curves
- Complex numbers
- Vectors and their products
Pre-requisite - successful completion of MATH1002
To enrol in this course, you must meet one of the following requirements
1. Passed MATH1002
2. Within two years before the commencement of the course, have achieved one of the following
- A Band 5 or better in the NSW HSC course Mathematics Advanced
- Completion of Extension 1 or Extension 2 Mathematics in the NSW HSC
- a pass in both FMTH001 and FMTH002 (NIC courses)
3. Within 12 months from the commencement of the course, take an invigilated sitting of the Mathematics Placement Test and achieved a mark of 10/20 or better
4. Within 12 months from the commencement of the course, have enrolled in either MATH1110 or MATH1210 but obtained an FF Grade
5. Immediately before the commencement of the course, have obtained approval from the Head of the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, on the grounds that you have equivalent qualifications
i. Please note that only one attempt at this invigilated quiz is permitted per calendar year, information about the Mathematics Placement test can be found on Ask UON
ii. If you intend to sit the Mathematics Placement Test it might be beneficial to take a mathematics bridging course, information about bridging courses can be found on Ask UON
iii. Information about the content of HSC Mathematics subjects can be found from the NSW Education Standards website
Formal Examination: Examination
Quiz: Class quizzes
In Term Test: Mid Semester Test
Quiz: Online quiz
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term