Covers the parts of calculus and algebra which have proved fundamental to all of mathematics and its applications. It is the first of a pair of courses, MATH1110 and MATH1120, designed to cover a range of mathematical topics of importance to students in the Sciences, Engineering or Commerce.
In algebra, students learn concepts and symbolic manipulation when calculating with large numbers of variables. In calculus, they learn concepts used when working with continuously changing variables. Both ways of thinking are essential in the mathematics met by students in the Sciences, Engineering and Commerce.
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Trimester 3 - 2016 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2017 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate competence to study further university level mathematics as required in their program of study.
2. Demonstrate mathematical knowledge and skills in the areas of calculus, functions, vectors and complex numbers.
3. Demonstrate improved analytical ability, in particular their skills at problem-solving.
- Riemann integral
- Exponential, logarithmic, and hyperbolic and trigonometric functions
- Techniques of integration
- Complex numbers
- Polar coordinates
- Vectors, dot and cross products
- Lines and planes
- Systems of equations
- Geometry of curves.
Pre-requisite - successful completion of MATH1002
This course has a prerequisite, either being - band 5 or better in the NSW HSC course "Mathematics" (Commonly known as "2 unit mathematics") or; - completion of Extension 1 or Extension 2 Mathematics in the NSW HSC or; - a pass in BOTH MTH001A and MTH002A NIC courses or; - a pass in MATH1002 or; - a mark of 10/20 or better in an invigilated sitting of the MATH1110 Math Placement Test*, or; - or equivalent qualifications as approved by the Head of School, School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. * Please note that only one attempt at this invigilated quiz is permitted. ** Information about the content of HSC Mathematics subjects can be found from the Board of Studies website at http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/
Written Assignment: Assignments
Formal Examination: Examination
Quiz: Class quizzes
In Term Test: Mid Semester Test
Callaghan and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term