Law, the legal system, and political system impact our daily lives. This is particularly so for those engaged in business, commerce, public service and professions. The course introduces a broad framework of Australia's legal and political system and examines the sources of law, important provisions of the state and federal constitutions, court hierarchy and jurisdiction, precedent, civil liability, aspects of professional negligence and introduces consumer protection law, business organisations, contract and agency. It establishes a solid legal knowledge foundation for business and commerce and contributes to the enhancement of student attributes in analysis and problem solving.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Semester 2 - 2018
- Trimester 1 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify and explain the principal features of the Australian Legal System;
2. Identify the key legal risks associated with setting up and running a business and explain legal and business strategies used to control those risks;
3. Outline the main legal requirements for creating and enforcing a contract;
4. Apply problem solving methods to identify, analyse and explain areas of law covered during the course.
Topics to be covered are:
- An examination of what is "law", including such concepts as the Rule of Law, and the 'Doctrine of Separation of Powers'.
- The key features of Australia's legal system, looking at the roles and functions of the legislature, the executive and the judiciary, the reception of English laws and the creation and evolution of the Australian Commonwealth.
- The key legal issues and risks to be addressed when setting up a business
- An introduction to the law of torts, with a focus on the law of negligence and negligent misstatement
- An introduction to the common law rules for creating and enforcing a contract
- An overview of consumer protection law with a focus on the general protections under the Australian Consumer Law
- An introduction to the law of agency and the laws impacting on the employment relationship.
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Seminar based Multiple Choice Tests
Written Assignment: Individual IRAC Task
Formal Examination: Final examination
Ourimbah, Newcastle City Precinct and PSB Singapore
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students will complete specific reading and online learning activities.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term