The law impacts our daily lives in ways particularly evident for those engaged in business, commerce, public service, and professions. This course introduces the Australian legal system, its legal sources and the court system. Then, it focuses on the law of contract as one of the building blocks of business transactions while introducing other areas of potential legal liability for businesses. A professional conducting business requires a basic understanding of the law regulating torts, consumer protection, employment, agency, and business structures. Students are also equipped with a tool for analysing and solving legal problems transferable to other subjects relevant to business and commerce professionals. In the end, this course provides foundational knowledge to identify opportunities and risks for business to navigate the Australian legal institutions and think globally.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 1 - 2020 (Singapore)
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify and explain the principal features of the Australian Legal System;
2. Identify the key areas of the law facilitating running a business and the sources of potential liabilities.
3. Outline the main legal requirements for creating and enforcing a contract;
4. Outline some of the main legal requirements for establishing the tort of negligence, a breach of consumer protection, the employment and the agent-principal relationship, and the key business organisations; and
5. Apply a problem-solving method to key areas of law covered during the course.
MODULE 1: The Australian legal system
- The concept of law
- The Australian legal system
- Finding and applying the law
MODULE 2: The law of contract
- Contract formation
- Contract enforceability
- Contract terms and exclusion clauses
- Contract termination and remedies
MODULE 3: Other areas of law affecting business
- The tort of negligence
- Consumer protection
- Employment and agent-principal relationships
- Business structures
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Multiple choice quizzes
Written Assignment: Case Law Summary and IRAC problem question.
Formal Examination: Final open book examination
Ourimbah, Newcastle City Precinct and PSB Singapore
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students will complete specific reading and online learning activities.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term