Final-Year Workplace Experience provides students with a work-integrated learning experience to enable students to acquire the specialised technical knowledge and skills in litigation and transactions required of entry level lawyers seeking admission to the legal profession.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply specialised technical knowledge of the practice of law in litigation and transactions;
2. Use practical legal skills including communication with real clients, drafting letters and legal documents together with the ability to conduct relevant and detailed legal research;
3. Identify and interpret the role of professional responsibility and judgment in the practice of law at an advanced level;
4. Use judgment, creativity, adaptability and initiative in applying the relevant law to new factual situations in professional legal practice;
5. Explain and value the management of legal practices and time management in legal practice.
Work integrated learning undertaking assigned legal work in litigation and transactions at the University of Newcastle Legal Centre and/or external legal placement sites. The placement is under the supervision of a lawyer with a current practising certificate. The work will involve various forms of casework, legal research, drafting, client interviews, written and oral communication. This workplace experience partly satisfies the workplace experience requirements prescribed by the law admission regulatory authorities.
This course is only available to students:
Enrolled in the Juris Doctor/Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (12334) program and who have successfully completed LAWS6000, LAWS6001, LAWS6120, LAWS6121, LAWS6130, LAWS6140, LAWS6141, LAWS6014A and LAWS6014B;
Enrolled in the Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Diploma of Legal Practice (12347) program and who have successfully completed LAWS4054A and LAWS4054B.
LAWS6000, LAWS6001, LAWS6120, LAWS6121, LAWS6130, LAWS6140, LAWS6141, LAWS6014A and LAWS6014B (or equivalents).
Participation: Mandatory attendance at all practicums with completion of 180 hours placement
Professional Task: Satisfactory completion of all professional placement tasks
Journal: Refective Journal
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 180 hour(s) per Term Full Term
The Practicum will be a total of 180 hours at the University of Newcastle Legal Centre and/or at external legal practice placement sites.