Employment Law deals with the law governing the formation, content and termination of employment relationships. The complex integration of the body of federal and state statutes, industrial instruments and the common law contract of employment which regulate paid work relationships will be examined.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 2 - 2018
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate specialised advanced and integrated knowledge and understanding of the complex body of law which governs the employment relationship;
2. Critically examine the policies which underpin this body of law;
3. Demonstrate specialised cognitive and technical skills to understand the evolving nature of employment law;
4. Apply the knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy, expert judgment, adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner or learner in further developing the capacity to apply rules of law.
The topics to be covered are:
- Introduction to Employment Law in Australia
- The constitutional framework
- Distinguishing employment contracts from other legal arrangements for getting work done
- Overview of sources of law for determining employmeny rights and obligations
- Minimum statutory entitlements
- Enterprise agreements
- Remuneration and leave
- Loyalty, conrtol, performance managment and discipline
- Unfair work practices
- Enforcement of obligations and dispute relolution
- Termination of emplyoment contracts
- Unlawful and unfair dismissal
Students must be active in the M Human Resources and Law (40140) and have successfully completed or be concurrently enrolled in LEGL6004 OR be active in the Juris Doc/G Dip Legal Practice (12334) to enrol in this course.
LAWS6001, LAWS6002A, LAWS6002B, LAWS6003A, LAWS6003B, LAWS6004A, LAWS6004B, LAWS6005.
Report: Research Assignment
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Formal Examination: Examination
Newcastle City Precinct and WebLearn GradSchool
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks