This course introduces students to the laws governing commercial transactions, primarily in the area of personal property. The course deals at length with the Sale of Goods Act 1923 (NSW) and with product liability. The course also covers the Australian Consumer Law, particularly in relation to consumer transactions and consumer guarantees and the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth).
Availability2018 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a comprehensive contextual knowledge of the concepts and principles of commercial law;
2. Demonstrate an understanding of legal processes relevant to commercial law;
3. Interpret primary materials relevant to commercial law and apply the law to commercial problems to determine an arguable outcome;
4. Evaluate legal principles and employ legal techniques to analyse competing considerations and resolve practical problems in the area of commercial law;
5. Outline basic contract terms that might be used in legal practice;
6. Structure and present a coherent and persuasive legal argument.
Topics covered are:
- Transfer of property in goods
- Sale of Goods, including an outline of Sale of Goods Act
- Australian Consumer Law provisions dealing with consumer transactions, safety of consumer goods and product related services and liability of manufacturers for goods with safety defects.
- Security interest issues for businesses such as company charges, guarantees and retention of title clauses and the significant impact of the Personal Properties Securities Act 2009 (Cth) in this area.
- Key issues in international commercial law.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Laws and associated combined degree programs or Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and associated combined degree programs.
Legal System and Method (LAWS1001A, LAWS1001B,) Torts (LAWS1003A, LAWS1003B), Criminal Law (LAWS2004A, LAWS2004B) Contracts (LAWS3004A, LAWS3004B), and Company Law (LAWS4005)
In Term Test: Mid Semester In-class test
Formal Examination: Open book examination in the formal examination period
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Completion of weekly online tutorials
Newcastle City Precinct
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Blended learning online learning module for one hour equivalent per week for the full term.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term