This course builds upon the course Legal Practice 1, focusing on the more advanced aspects of litigation and legal transactions. It gives emphasis to professional responsibility and relevant ethical behaviour. This course is made up of a number of components and modules which cover a variety of areas of legal practice where communication, research, advocacy and legal transaction skills are utilised. Students undertake advocacy simulation and drafting exercises.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 2 - 2020
This course is part of a multi-term sequence. Both Part A and Part B must be completed to meet the requirements of the sequence. Part A and Part B must be completed in consecutive terms. Students must complete Part A before completing Part B. Students must complete the sequence within a twelve month period. If students complete Part A but are unable to complete Part B within the timeframe, they must re-enrol in Part A.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and advanced skills required of an entry level lawyer;
2. Apply earlier learning in both substantive and procedural law;
3. Demonstrate development of the oral and written skills needed to practice law;
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the management of legal practices, time management, professional responsibility and professional ethics.
This course builds upon the courses LAWS4054A & LAWS4054B, Legal Practice 1, focussing on more advanced aspects of litigation and legal transactions. It gives emphasis to professional responsibility and relevant ethical behaviour. The course is made up of components and modules which cover a variety of areas where advocacy and legal transaction skills are utilised. These include Criminal Law Practice, Family Law Practice, Wills and Succession Practice and Employment Law Practice. Students, undertake simulation advocacy exercises and prepare complex documents. The course also develops skills in written communication, legal letter writing, document drafting, interviewing, research, non-litigious negotiation and settlement.
LAWS1001A, LAWS1001B, LAWS1003A, LAWS1003B, LAWS2004A, LAWS2004B, LAWS3004A, LAWS3004B, LAWS4054A, LAWS4054B LAWS4055A
Participation: Class attendance
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Seminar: There is a compulsory attendance requirement in this course. - Seminar: There is a compulsory attendance requirement in this course. - Attendance at all sessions is compulsory
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 4 hours per Week for Full Term.