This course examines aspects of Japanese society and culture using English-language texts.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2019.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Show an understanding of Japanese culture and society.
2. Investigate topics related to contemporary Japanese society.
3. Demonstrate essay writing skills.
4. Explain the conceptual problems involved in studying a culture other than their own.
This course examines some of the major themes in Japanese society and culture. Students will study
- Physical and human geography of the Japanese islands;
- Political and administrative systems;
- Culture and lifestyles; and
- International relations.
Essay: Essay (40%)
Online Learning Activity: 6x Online Learning Activity (60%)
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.