This course introduces students to the principles and techniques involved in utilizing new information technologies. This includes technical skills required to model and develop working software solutions, as well as developing the career long skills required to work and manage tasks in a team environment, with the creativity and communication skills required in the modern IT environment.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 3 - 2016 (Singapore).
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the nature of the IT industry.
2. Recognise the context and constraints of any information system.
3. Recognise ethical issues associated with the use of IT.
4. Model and analyse the ways that organizations or other systems work.
5. Build appropriate models for the operation of an information system.
6. Build an application which uses web and database technologies to provide a solution to a realistic problem.
7. Work and communicate as an effective member of a well managed team.
The course will cover topics such as:
- the nature of the ICT sector and careers in the ICT sector.
- the key concepts of project management and team-work; including the use of relevant project management software tools.
- the tools for problem analysis and modeling; including processes for object modeling and system design.
- the practical design of creative solutions to problems; with examples from the creative industries such as digital media and gaming.
- the ethical implications of IT applications; with a focus on issues such as privacy protection.
Practical Demonstration: Assignment 1 - Game Design
Practical Demonstration: Assignment 2 - Database design
Formal Examination: Formal Examination