This course is designed for students with little or no previous knowledge of Indonesian, formerly known as Bahasa Indonesia. It provides beginners with a basic level of communicative competence in Indonesian language and culture.
- Semester 1 - 2022
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate and apply a basic understanding of the grammatical system of Indonesian language.
2. Read and respond to simple authentic Indonesian language sources.
3. Participate competently in every day social conversation in Indonesian within a range of topics covered.
4. Participate competently in pair and group interaction in Indonesian.
5. Write basic compositions in Indonesian.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of many fundamental aspects of Indonesian cultures and compare these to Australian thinking and practices.
The aim of INDO1110 is to provide the student with the first steps towards a sound practical command of Bahasa Indonesia for speaking and reading purposes by
- Introducing basic vocabulary and fundamental sentence structures using authentic linguistic/cultural materials;
- Small group work concentrating on steadily building confidence and competence in the target language.
This course is for students with no or very little prior knowledge of Indonesian language. It is an inappropriate course for competent or native speakers.
Written Assignment: 1 x responding to listening text (15%)
Written Assignment: 1 x responding to written text (25%)
Practical Demonstration: 1 x delivering a spoken text (25%)
Written Assignment: 1 x written response to set task (35%)
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1
Online 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.