This course provides an opportunity for students to enhance their knowledge of historical and contemporary issues relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
This course will explore the tenets of culturally competent health practice and its development by exploring the dynamics between Australia's health practice and contemporary social and healthcare policies, and the current health status for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. discuss Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples history, cultural identity, beliefs and values with a particular focus on the burden of disease.
2. explore the relationship between Australia's history of colonisation, relevant social and healthcare policy and the multiplicity of experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples including health status and life expectancy.
3. identify key social determinants of health and their trends for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people including access, funding, housing, employment, infrastructure and education.
4. identify and discuss ways of redressing health care inequities including the burden of illness for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
5. discuss strategies that hold the potential to improve the burden of illness and life expectancy for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
6. describe the principles of cultural competence and cultural safety in order to provide culturally competent health care to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. This must include identifying the impact of racism and effective communication strategies.
7. examine and reflect on their personal lens and potential biases about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
8. outline the principles of ethical research when working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's cultural identity, beliefs and values, and health indicators;
- social and healthcare policy;
- social determinants; and
- cultural competence.
Quiz: Online Tutorial Quiz - 30%
Project: Health Project - Discussion Post - 30%
Project: Written Assessment - 40%
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
lectures are internal or online
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Online 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term