The course consists of a 80-hour agency based placement where students will be exposed to the reality of practice and the skills required to perform the duties of a competent human service practitioner or a negotiated and self-directed applied or theoretical practice-related project. The agency based component may be completed over the semester as a block or part time. This course also consists of campus based workshops which will integrate knowledge, values and skills relevant to students' individual areas of inquiry and potential career path in the Human Services industry.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
This course replaces the following course(s): SPSW3015. Students who have successfully completed SPSW3015 are not eligible to enrol in HUSE3002.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Design, implement and evaluate an appropriate agency based project
2. Practice human services work in accordance with the values and ethics of the human service professions
3. Identify and evaluate practice approaches within the placement setting, with reference to theories of practice
4. Describe the impact of internal and external structures, policies and procedures on community organisations and programs
5. Demonstrate increased knowledge of the range and role of government and non-government agencies in the social and community services sector
The course will include the following topics:
- Preparation for the student placement and include ongoing support, assistance and direction in a student’s learning.
- Preparation for the development of learning contracts and plans
- Support from the student’s peers through debriefing mechanisms
- A focus on integrating the application of theoretical aspects of the Human Services major on practice in the context of the agency experience
- Opportunities to demonstrate an ability to develop and extend understanding and analysis of the relationship between ideology, knowledge, theory, values, ethics and skills.
- Opportunities to demonstrate skills in culturally competent practice
If you have successfully completed SPSW3015 you cannot enrol in this course.
40 units at 1000 level, HUSE1001, HUSE2001, HUSE3001
Written Assignment: Early Placement Plan - 30%
Journal: Learning Journal - 20%
Report: Final Placement Report - 50%
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term