This course introduces students to youth work practice and the contemporary provision of youth services to young people. The course will examine several trends affecting young people in key aspects of their life. Contemporary service delivery approaches to young people will be identified, together with contemporary policy and practice issues, and theoretical and operational perspectives. This course will promote students' abilities to work with young people in the human services.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2019.
This course replaces the following course(s): SPSW3408. Students who have successfully completed SPSW3408 are not eligible to enrol in HUSE2006.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Analyse popular representations of young people and youth using relevant theories and apply this analysis in terms of how these shape societal responses to young people.
2. Describe contemporary approaches to human services practice with young people, including models of youth work, the service and policy context, and ethics in youth work practice.
3. Research a contemporary issue faced by young people and human service responses to it, using appropriate sources.
4. Identify one, appropriate youth work activity for a specified purpose.
5. Reflect on experiences within this course in order to extend learning, to an intermediate level.
The course will include the following topics, referring both to social trends and relevant youth services and models of practice:
- Representations of and Perspectives on Young People
- Youth Work as a Profession
- Ethics in Youth Work Practice
- Models of Practice
- Young People and Families
- The Health of Young People: Wellbeing, Mental Health and Health Issues
- Young People, Crime and Violence
- Education and Work
- The Diversity of Young People: Ethnicity and difference including indigenous young people, diverse ethnic backgrounds, gender, sexual diversity and young people from rural settings
If you have successfully completed SPSW3408 you cannot enrol in this course.
40 units at 1000 level
Written Assignment: Written Assignment - 20%
Presentation: Individual research presentation - 40%
Written Assignment: Youth work issue and Local Service Network - 40%