This course examines theories and practices of organisational culture and management and their effects on work practices in the human services sector. It analyses the dynamics of organisational functioning, power within organisations and the ideological and practical effects this has on human services workers. Students will develop the necessary interpersonal, conflict resolution, advocacy and communication skills to work effectively and collaboratively as progressive practitioners within human service organisations.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2019
- Semester 1 - 2019
This course replaces the following course(s): SPSW1401. Students who have successfully completed SPSW1401 are not eligible to enrol in HUSE2004.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify various organisational paradigms and their influence on human services.
2. Implement effective interpersonal communication skills in a group setting including negotiation, conflict resolution and advocacy.
3. Review the effectiveness of group processes based on the degree to which they achieved their purpose.
4. Apply an understanding of organisational paradigms and the ways in which these might impact on workplace relationships and practice.
5. Reflect on experiences within this course in order to extend learning, to an intermediate level.
This course will include the following topics:
- Postmodern analysis and power in organisations
- Managerialism and neo-liberalism
- Humanistic alternatives to corporate management models
- Working within policies and procedures
- Implementation: the need and scope for professional autonomy
- Organisational culture
- Verbal and nonverbal communication
- Understanding and managing interpersonal relationships
- Dealing with conflict and bullying in the workplace
- Interpersonal skills for empowerment
- Advocacy on behalf of your client group
- Trade unions and the workplace
- Job applications: knowledge of equity and Workplace Health and Safety
- Emerging issues in human service workplaces
If you have successfully completed SPSW1401 you cannot enrol in this course.HUSE2004 Requisite
Quiz: Quiz - 30%
Project: Integration of knowledge and skills - 30%
Written Assignment: Report on Group Project - 40%
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term