This course will enhance previous biomedical and nutrition knowledge with particular reference to recent developments in nutritional sciences and biomarkers of human health and diseases.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2019
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate and apply current scientific findings in nutrition and health
2. Provide nutritional advice based on sound scientific findings
3. Critically evaluate nutrition information appearing in popular magazines and other forms of media
4. Discuss the efficacy and appropriate use of functional foods
5. Justify the use of nutritional supplements for people with special needs
6. Describe biomarkers of nutritional status
7. Describe biomarkers of liver function
8. Describe biomarkers of cardiovascular disease
9. Describe biomarkers of diabetes mellitus
10. Describe biomarkers of oxidative stress, antioxidant defences and inflammation
- Biomarkers of nutritional status
- Biomarkers of liver function
- Biomarkers of cardiovascular disease
- Biomarkers of diabetes mellitus
- Biomarkers of oxidative stress, antioxidants and inflammation
- Biochemical, physiological and clinical aspects of various macronutrients, micronutrients and other components of foods relevant to human health and disease
- Functional foods
- Popular nutritional supplements
- Ergogenic aids
- Scientific bases for nutrition interventions in human health and disease
HUBS2206 Human Biochemistry and Cell Biology and HUBS2207 Human Metabolic and Nutritional Biochemistry
Written Assignment: Written assignment *
In Term Test: In Term examination *
Formal Examination: Formal Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Must pass the combined in term and formal examinations to be able to pass the course overall.
- In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Must pass the combined in term and formal examinations to be able to pass the course.
- Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks