Family and community engagement is a vital component of many initiatives: unless families and communities are actively engaged in programs or services, they are unlikely to make a difference. By drawing on professional practice, research and case studies you will explore strategies for family and community engagement in a range of settings. You will explore engagement in the context of planning and decision making, service delivery and community development, with a particular focus on strengths-based approaches. By the end of the course you will have developed skills that will help you critically reflect on your practice and effectively engage families and communities.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explain the importance of engaging families and communities in a range of settings.
2. Identify a range of family and community strengths and explain how engagement can help build on them.
3. Demonstrate advanced skills in family and community engagement.
4. Critically reflect on personal beliefs and professional responsibilities that impact on family and community engagement.
5. Critique ways in which family and community engagement can be incorporated into professional practice.
Course content will cover:
- What is meant by family and community engagement
- Reasons for engaging families and communities
- Relevant research and practice from Australian and overseas
- Strategies and tools for engaging families and communities
- Case studies demonstrating a range of approaches to family and community engagement
- Critical reflection on engagement practice
Undergraduate degree or equivalent.
Online Learning Activity: Blackboard Discussion
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Critique of an example of family or community engagement
Proposal / Plan: Project plan
Self-Directed 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.