This course is Part B of a multi-term sequence. Part A must also be completed to meet the requirements of the sequence.
Students will undertake an individual supervised research project, incorporating self-directed learning, with assistance from their supervisor. Projects will address a health sciences related research question. Students will use evidence based techniques to develop and test a hypothesis. This will ideally be in an area where there is sufficient published literature so that the student is able to critically appraise the topic. Students completing this course will have successfully completed Research Project A where they will have initiated and progressed their research project, which is completed in this course, Research Project B.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2020
This course is part of a multi-term sequence. Both Part A and Part B must be completed to meet the requirements of the sequence. Part A and Part B must be completed in consecutive terms. Students must complete Part A before completing Part B. Students must complete the sequence within a twelve month period. If students complete Part A but are unable to complete Part B within the timeframe, they must re-enrol in Part A.
This course replaces the following course(s): HLSC4310. Students who have successfully completed HLSC4310 are not eligible to enrol in HLSC4310B.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Critically appraise the literature related to the research question.
2. Demonstrate the application of research strategies.
3. Collect data appropriately.
4. Analyse and interpret data.
5. Demonstrate advanced oral communication skills including the presentation of a research report.
6. Demonstrate advanced written communication skills including the presentation of a research report.
- Planning a research question.
- Critically appraising the literature.
- Developing a testable hypothesis.
- Designing a study and selecting a research method.
- Obtaining ethics approval with support of supervisor (if required).
- Managing a research project.
- Presenting research results (written and oral).
All core courses in the first three years of the relevant program. HLSC4120 (may be concurrent).
Presentation: Oral Presentation (project results)
Thesis: Research project thesis/dissertation
Face to Face On Campus 140 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Students will meet with their supervisors regularly.
Self-Directed 140 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Students are expected to spend on average 120-140 hours of effort or total load for this course.
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Students are expected to attend oral presentation sessions.