Teaching Health Practitioners
HLSC3006 allows students to build on their experiences as learners to develop skills as effective teachers. The workshop will cover theories of adult education, effective teaching in the tertiary sector and active participation in clinical and/or non-clinical teaching. Students will be required to maintain a teaching portfolio.
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe tertiary education theory
2. Develop learning objectives and outcomes
3. Apply education theory to participation as a tutor in clinical and non-clinical education
4. Apply teaching methods appropriate to the group of learners, the mode of study and the subject material
5. Apply tertiary education theory to a reflective and critical evaluation of personal, peer and team member educational opportunities
6. Demonstrate appropriate and effective communication with social and cultural sensitivity.
- Adult education theories and principles
- Models of learning
- Communication skills
- Clinical and non-clinical teaching at a University level
- Curriculum planning and review
Students must be active in a specific pogram to enrol in HLSC3006:
Students must have completed a minimum 160 units of core courses in their program.
Professional Task: Teaching Component
Portfolio: Reflective Teaching Portfolio
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
- National Police Certificate - Students must complete a National Police Check.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- Prohibited Employment Declaration - Declaration that student is not a prohibited person in terms of the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998.
- Senior First Aid Certificate - students must complete a Senior First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
Self-Directed 21 hour(s) per Term
Each student is required to complete 21 hours of teaching related activities.
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks starting in week 1
Week 1 compulsory workshop.