Many students engage in voluntary work and/or leadership activities as part of their personal and/or professional development. Professionals in a range of fields also work with volunteers in the course of their daily practice. Volunteerism transcends disciplinary boundaries and is relevant to a broad range of professions in areas such as health, human services, education, science, engineering, and business. Important to working as, or with, volunteers is knowledge about the purpose, history functions, and contribution of volunteering. This course examines key perspectives on volunteerism, and explores the experience of working as a volunteer. Students undertaking this course will develop professional skill in the recruitment, training, management and support of volunteers. The course enables students currently engaged in voluntary work/leadership experiences to apply their learning to professional and personal development through critical reflection in light of theory on volunteerism.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Define volunteerism.
2. Critically examine the concept, history, purpose and functions of volunteerism.
3. Explore trends in volunteering activity.
4. Develop knowledge and skill in volunteer management including recruitment, training, supervision, support, and ongoing development.
5. Explore ethical issues in volunteer management
6. Critically reflect on volunteer experiences in light of theory.
7. Examine ethical and value issues in volunteer practice.
8. Apply learning from voluntary experience to professional context.
- Definitions of volunteerism.
- Functions of volunteerism.
- Trends in volunteerism.
- Social capital.
- Critical debates relating to volunteerism.
- Volunteer management practices including policy, recruitment, training, supervision, support and development.
- Skills in volunteer management.
- Ethical issues in volunteer work
- Critical reflection on volunteer experience
- Application of learning from volunteer work to professional practice
Online Learning Activity: Online Learning Activity
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study / Problem Based Learning
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study