History of Australian Sport
Considers the history of sport in Australia. It will consider the origins and ethos of organised games from the Ancient world through an examination of the Ancient Olympics, and their linkages with sport in the modern world. The course will consider the rise of major sports in Australia in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and will examine some of the legends and controversies of Australia's sporting past. The course will conclude with consideration of a number of problems and controversies in the sporting world, and provide a historical perspective on the origins and nature of these issues.
Not currently available.
1. display an understanding of the origins of modern Australian sport;
2. display an understanding of the development of sport as a major factor in Australian life in the colonial period and in the twentieth century;
3. show an ability to critically analyse primary documents in the sports history field;
4. be able to critically discuss and research aspects of sport in both Australia and the wider world in both the past and the present;
5. be able to bring historical knowledge to bear upon the understanding of present-day issues associated with sport.
This course will be divided into three sections. The first will briefly consider the origins and growth of modern sport. The second will examine the rise of sport in Australia from colonial times to the modern day and its links with Australian cultural identities while the third section will be devoted to considering issues and controversies such as cheating, racism, inequality of gender access, big business, drug-taking and corruption in sport in Australia.
This course replaces the following course(s): HIST3490. Students who have successfully completed HIST3490 are not eligible to enrol in HIST2490.
This course replaces HIST3490. If you have successfully completed HIST3490 you cannot enrol in this course.
20 units in History or Ancient History at 1000 level or equivalent.
Quiz: Class quiz and source analysis
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Tutorial paper
In Term Test: Class test