Global Innovation Management examines the fundamental and growing importance of introducing and applying theory, models and tools of innovation management to a modern enterprise in a global context. Providing innovation management capabilities and skill development and nurturing a culture of continuous improvement is essential for a modern enterprise for deriving a continuous competitive advantage. Understanding these techniques and adding necessary discipline to the overarching enterprise innovative process is critical. Building the innovation management processes systemically into an enterprise reduces risk. Importantly as students come to realise these innovation management processes can be taught and learnt. Key aspects of this broader approach relate to the consistent reviewing of business models, processes and products and understanding variations like radical and incremental innovation. Creativity matched with implementation takes on new meaning in this course as does the role of human capital and its application to new technology.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 2 - 2019
- Trimester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate and utilise relevant theories, concepts and models underpinning global innovation management;
2. Analyse and be capable of implementing processes involved in enterprise innovation management;
3. Analyse and be capable of implementing procesess involved in innovation management in new ventures;
4. Critically evaluate the role of people in organisations and understand how the role of innovation champions operates within enterprise;
5. Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the theory and application of research and development and the ability to stimulate innovation around core competence;
6. Demonstrate an advanced understanding of global innovation management including a comprehensive knowledge of innovation in all aspects of an enterprise.
Topics will include the following:
- Theories, practice and history behind global innovation management
- Analysing and implementing processes involved in enterprise innovation management
- Realisation of innovation management and its role in new and existing enterprise and finding unique value
- Realisation of the importance in innovation management of generating ideas but then how to make them happen
- Detailed understanding of the people components of innovation management
- Complexity of strategically leading innovation management and developing a systemic innovation platform in a global context
- Importance of open innovation and R&D
- Importance of knowledge acquisition, exchange and absorption
- The role of innovation management in clusters, regions and nations
- Future trends around technology and innovation management.
Essay: Individual essay
Presentation: Group Presentation: Innovation Management Presentation
Written Assignment: Group Report: Innovation Management
Written Assignment: Individual Forum Contribution
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 36 hour(s) per Term Full Term
This will be conducted on an intensive basis on Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday 3 times during the term.