The course provides an introduction to corporate financial theory and application of theory to problems relevant to managers and is designed as a core course in the Master of Applied Finance. Topics covered will include: specification of corporate objectives, evaluation of investment projects, alternative sources of finance, risk, the operation of capital markets, the financing decision, the dividend decision, and the cost of capital.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 2 - 2021
- Trimester 3 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Appreciate the importance of finance and risk in personal/business decisions;
2. Communicate with clarity the investment, financing and dividend decision processes of the firm;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the role cash flow estimates and analysis have in these decision processes;
4. Utilise financial mathematical models to solve investment problems;
5. Display an understanding of capital asset pricing model;
6. Identify the basic instruments of corporate funding and have an elementary understanding of the issues underlying capital structure theory and practice; and
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of risk management and its importance to management.
Topics covered in this course include but are not limited to the following:
- Specification of corporate objectives;
- the time value of money;
- evaluation of investment projects;
- risk and return concepts;
- introduction to capital asset pricing model;
- capital markets;
- sources of finance;
- financing decisions;
- dividend decisions;
- cost of capital.
If you have successfully completed PACC6003 you cannot enrol in this course.
Quiz: Mid-term Quiz
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Participation: Contribution to Discussion Forum
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Newcastle City Precinct and Online
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.