The course provides an introduction to corporate financial theory and application of theory to problems relevant to managers and is designed as a core course in the Master of Applied Finance. Topics covered will include: specification of corporate objectives, evaluation of investment projects, alternative sources of finance, risk, the operation of capital markets, the financing decision, the dividend decision, and the cost of capital.
- Trimester 1 - 2022
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 2 - 2022
- Trimester 3 - 2022
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Appreciate the importance of finance and risk in personal/business decisions;
2. Communicate with clarity the investment, financing and dividend decision processes of the firm;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the role cash flow estimates and analysis have in these decision processes;
4. Utilise financial mathematical models to solve investment problems;
5. Display an understanding of capital asset pricing model;
6. Identify the basic instruments of corporate funding and have an elementary understanding of the issues underlying capital structure theory and practice; and
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of risk management and its importance to management.
Topics covered in this course include but are not limited to the following:
- Specification of corporate objectives;
- the time value of money;
- evaluation of investment projects;
- risk and return concepts;
- introduction to capital asset pricing model;
- capital markets;
- sources of finance;
- financing decisions;
- dividend decisions;
- cost of capital.
If you have successfully completed PACC6003 you cannot enrol in this course.
Quiz: Mid-term Quiz
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Participation: Contribution to Discussion Forum
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Newcastle City Precinct and Online
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.